Friday, March 2, 2012

My First Encounter with Alternative Medicine

Effective Cures Need Not be Expensive

When I was forty, I think my glucose intolerance was beginning and I was encountering chest pains.  And naturally (of like a hypochondriac) I thought I had heart disease -  heart blocks, MI etc.  Fortunately I received a newsletter from a Dr. who claimed he used to be an open heart surgeon specializing in bypass operation.  He was rich, but found no meaning in his work, because ultimately, many of those whom he operated died eventually.  Without change in lifestyle, the patients condition would revert and die later.  The bypass just delayed the eventuality despite its huge cost and trauma to the patient.

So the good doctor like Dr Brownstein reflected on what he was doing  and changed tack.  He said he was going preventive rather than curative.  He found out in some of his cases, in open in close cases (those that were inoperable)  the plaques were so hard and all over the heart, that no amount of operation could alter the atheriosclorosis, he simply advised the patient to exercise 30 minutes a day and they survived.

And which I did;  and eventually did a marathon.

The overweight guy who owned Balaw balaw restaurant was diagnosed to have heart block and was scheduled for operation.  I discussed the 30 minute daily walk prescription, just walk, not even brisk walking which he  did. He lived for another l5 years without a bypass.

Some of the advice of the good Dr were:  be happy happy, change your lifestyle, and chew your food well, eat slowly.  Would you believe that made live longer and forgot about the angina?

0 comments:

Post a Comment